This week we are looking at how to manage distractions from yourself! Distractions can often come from yourself, from your desire to be multitasking, the sheer amount of noise in your head or boredom from the tasks you are working on.
Here are my top 5 tips for managing distractions from yourself, read below
- Get organsied. You will have more thoughts going round your head and therefore more internal distractions if your life is chaotic. Get good systems and plans in place so you feel in control.
- Effective Reminder Systems. Linked to your organisation is your effective reminder systems. If you can't trust in your systems to tell you when you need to do something you will keep thinking about it, so get it down somewhere reliable.
- Get it out of your head. Keep a notepad near you as you work. When something comes into your head that is going to distract you from what you are doing, write it down and go back to it later. Stay focused on the task at hand and don't let yourself get drawn into lots of multitasking.
- Create a quiet work environment. Reduce the distractions around you by finding a quieter working space away from the noise.
- Set yourself a time limit. If you get bored working on tasks then work on one task uninterrupted for 20 minutes. This is not so long that you will get bored but long enough that you will accomplish something.